Monday 24 October 2011

Conservative MEPs begin to act on behalf of Rafah

Several colleagues have contacted me with news from MEP Marina Yannakoudakis who has written the following:

I have contacted fellow Conservative London MEP Dr Charles Tannock on [your] behalf who is Foreign Affairs and Human Rights spokesman for the Conservatives in the European Parliament. Mr Tannock assures me that he is looking into this issue and will provide an answer to you in due course.

Dr Tannock´s office has stated to me that this issue will be discussed this Thursday afternoon, when debates on cases of breeches of human rights, democracy and the rule of law (rule 122), are routinely debated in the European Parliament's plenary chamber in Strasbourg. The case of Rafah Nached in Syria is point number 3 on the agenda.

To raise further awareness, under the European Parliament's Rules of Procedure (Rule 117, 1), I have also tabled a parliamentary question on your behalf to The EU´s High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice President of the European Commission, Catherine Ashton. 

I will expect to hear from the European Commission in 6 weeks time (rule 117, 4) and the reply will be posted on my website in due course. http://www.marinayannakoudakis.com/ . Questions posed and answers received are also published in the Official Journal of the European Union.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment